WHEN IS A DEVELOPMENT PERMIT REQUIRED/NOT REQUIRED?
A development permit is required to:
- construct a new building
- alter an existing building
- construct an accessory building
- demolition of an existing building,
- change the use of a building or portion of a building (eg: from a retail shop to a restaurant)
- erecting or changing a sign
A development permit is not required for:
- maintenance, repair, or renovation to any building, provided that such work do not include structural alterations,
- the erection, construction, or maintenance, improvement or alteration or gates, fences, walls, or other means of enclosure, unless the gate, fence, wall, etc. exceeds the regulation indicated in Part Three, Sections 8.0 – 16.0 of the Land Use Bylaw (insert link);
- a hard-surface of any yard area in a Residential District for the purpose of providing vehicular access from a road to an on-site parking space, provided that such hard-surface does not exceed 6.8 m (22.3 ft.);
- an accessory building less than 10.0 m2 (107.5 sq. ft.) and less than 300 m (9.8 ft.) in building height; provided that it complies with side and rear yard setbacks, complies with all other provisions of Part Four, Sections 1.0 – 11.0 of the Land Use Bylaw (insert link), and does not create a hazard pursuant to the Alberta Building Code;
- a patio in a Residential District that meets the minimum required yard requirements outlined in Part Three, Sections 27.0 – 30.0 of the Land Use Bylaw (insert link), related to Projections into the Required Yards;
- home offices within a dwelling unit, provide that are listed as a permitted use in the District in which the site is located;
- landscaping where it will not affect the grading or drainage of the subject or adjacent properties, except where the landscaping forms part of a development which requires a development permit.
An approved Development Permit is required for new construction or a change of use. Most developments require both a development permit and a Building Permit prior to development, as well as other permits—electric, gas, plumbing.
A person applying for, or in possession of, a valid development permit is not relieved from full responsibility for ascertaining and complying with, or carrying out and shall ascertain, comply or carry out development in accordance with the requirements of any other federal, provincial, or municipal enactment or any other law, including the Safety Codes Act, Alberta Building Code, Alberta Fire Code, Public Highways Development Act, Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, Natural Resources Conservation Board Act, and the conditions of any caveat, covenant, easement, or other instrument affecting a building or land. Please see Links page
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR A DEVELOPMENT PERMIT
A Development Permit Application is required and must be accompanied by:
- a site plan in triplicate, drawn to scale and dimensions showing:
- the civic address, legal description and boundary lines of the site including any lots that make up the site,
- location of all existing and proposed utilities, easements, and right-of-ways,
- all of the existing and proposed buildings on the site,
- the minimum required front, rear, and side yards, if any,
- location and name of adjacent roads, lanes, sidewalks, trails, access and egress points to the site, street hardware, and curbs.
- any provision for off-street loading, vehicle standing, and parking areas, and
- adjacent land uses
- an indication of the proposed uses;
- written consent form the owner(s) of the parcel or parcels of land making up the site, and the interest of the applicant therein in the case where they are not the owner; and
- payment of applicable fees.
A development permit application must be submitted to the office of the Planning and Development for review. The review will include an examination to ensure the development or proposed use complies with the regulations for the applicable land use district and any other regulations in the Land Use Bylaw.
After the review of the application, the development permit will have a decision rendered by the Development Authority—Development Officer or the Municipal Planning Commission.
APPLICATIONS AND FORMS
- Amend Land Use Bylaw No. 799 application
- Building Permit application
- Development Permit application
- Development Permit Fee Schedule Planning & Development
- Electrical Permit application
- Gas Permit application & Fees Schedule
- Plumbing Permit Application & Fees Schedule
- Request for Compliance Certificate form
- Right of Entry form
- Subdivision application
DEVELOPMENT PERMIT FEES
Development Permit Fees apply for both residential and non-residential, permit amendment charges, development without a permit, permit extension, appeals, solid-fuel appliance, demolition, change of use, development agreements, home occupations, and permanent signage.
Other fees include variance, compliance certificate, property file search, road closures, tax roll/land development file information, amendment to planning documents (Municipal Development and Area Structure Plans) and Land Use Bylaw, rezoning, subdivision endorsement, condo conversion, extension to subdivision endorsement, and encroachment agreements.
OTHER PERMITS - BUILDING, ELECTRICAL, PLUMBING AND GAS
A Building Permit may be applied for at the same time as the development permit or separately. However, a building will not be issued until the development permit has been approved. Construction cannot commence until the building permit has been issued.
The Town has contracted Canadian Safety Consulting Services to issue and inspect all building permits. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact:
Canadian Safety Consulting Services
James Douglas, Building Safety Codes Officer
11918 105A Street | Grande Prairie, AB. | T8V 7N3
1 .877.780.7233 | c: 780.897.1998
ELECTRICAL, PLUMBING, GAS PERMITS
The Town has contracted Superior Safety Codes Inc. to issue and inspect all electrical, plumbing, and gas permits. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact:
Superior Safety Codes
14613 – 134 Avenue | Edmonton, Alberta | T5L 4S9
780.489.4777 | 1.866.999.4777
780.489.4711 | 1.866.900.4711